Our independent research projects as well as independent reviews are funded partly by affiliate commissions without expense to readers. Learn more
If you have an offline brick-and-mortar shop and are seeking to expand your online presence or beginning the process of establishing your first online store This guide will take you through how to create an online business from beginning to completion.
The good news is that making the online stores you want to have has been simpler thanks to ecommerce builders such as Shopify and WordPress plugins such as WooCommerce. Web hosts like Bluehost can designed to make life as simple as it can be.
The following guide can help choose which option is right for you. It will also provide you with nine steps how you can create an online store with either the website creator and WordPress (combined together with WooCommerce or Bluehost).
If you’re not a tech expert start with our tutorial on creating a store using an eCommerce builder. If you’re looking for absolute customization, begin with our guide to creating a store using WordPress. Go to the section below:
Option 1: Make use of the E-Commerce Website Builder
How to Create an Online Store in 9 Easy Steps
- Find the perfect eCommerce website builder.
- Select the right plan to suit your needs.
- Register a domain for your online store.
- Select your preferred e-commerce template.
- Modify your e-commerce template.
- Add your own products.
- Create payment methods.
- Find out the settings for your shipping.
- Test, preview… as well as then publish the store online.
Step 1: Choose the perfect Ecommerce website builder
An eCommerce builder is a web-based software that allows you to create your personal online store without the need for advanced technical abilities, programming knowledge or more than a dozen computer screens. All you require is an internet access, and an excellent business plan!
When you’re starting your online shop, the initial step is to select the appropriate web-based store building software.
There are many online store builders available. Some are affordable, some are costly, some are reliable, and a few… don’t.
With numerous options to pick from We thought we’d help simplify the process to choose the best one for you. We’ve listed the top two recommended eCommerce platforms below. We suggest Shopify for big online stores and Wix small ones
Website builders for ecommerce are extremely easy to use. A recent study found that, despite some initial doubts, 83% of people could benefit from making use of a web-based builder.
Do you want someone to provide you with the specific ecommerce website builder to use? It’s possible! Our simple and quick quiz will give you a tailored suggestion and you’ll be able to determine the best option in your requirements. Click here to begin…
Learn more about it:
7 of the Best E-commerce Platforms A side-by side review of the top platforms to start (or building) your online store.
Shopify review: . This review takes an in-depth look at this eCommerce platform that powers many of the online stores you browse daily.
Wix Ecommerce Evaluation Wix Ecommerce Review A comprehensive review of the selling potential of this popular site builder.
Which eCommerce Web Builder Do You Pick?
It’s understandable that the choices may be overwhelming however, it all boils to the reason and the size that your store online.
After having researched every ecommerce site builder in depth, we’re in a good position to provide you with some more details about which one is best suited to your requirements.
For Small Stores
If you’re looking to set up an online store that is small and want to make it easy for you to do so, we suggest Wix. It’s extremely easy to create and the tools for selling are top-quality and the designs look fantastic.
- Plans: $23 – $49/month
- Designs: More than 500 fashionable themes
- Tools/Features: A huge array of tools and features that include integration with Ship Station selling on Instagram abandon cart recovery emails, shipping labels that can be printed and so much more.
- Commission The Commission: None
Is Wix The Right Choice for You?
We highly recommend Wix for those who have small stores. It’s also ideal for side hustles and you’ll soon be selling!
For Large Stores
If you’re looking to build an online store with a full-time staff, offer more than 10 products and generate a revenue of more than $1000 we’d suggest the Shopify.
- Plans: $29 – $299/month
- Design: Over 50 modern themes
- Tools and Features: Strong inventory management as well as email marketing and tools for sales. Everything you’ll need to run an efficient store.
- Commission: 2.9-2.6 percent, plus 30C transaction fees (unless the payment is made through Shopify)
Shopify is the Best Choice to Shopify Large Online Stores
We suggest Shopify for stores that have huge plans. The sales features of Shopify provide you with everything you require to succeed.
To see a comparison side-by-side of our top-rated eCommerce platforms, look over our comparison chart of e-commerce.
Test Your Ecommerce Website Builder
If you’re determined to build an online store that will be successful and you want to be successful, then check out your website builder before you launch your online store.
The most effective way to achieve this is by registering for an initial trial for free – or several!
Do not just test one try it out and test different store builders to discover the most suitable one for you and your company.
Click the hyperlinks below to sign-up to try a trial for free:
- Wix – Try a premium plan for free for 14 days
- Shopify – Try a 14-day no-cost trial
While playing with e-commerce website builders, consider the following questions:
- Can you easily pick the template or theme and then make modifications?
- Are the templates appropriate for your company?
- It is it simple to add items and group them?
- Are you able to edit the navigation so that it includes sub-menus as well as new pages?
You’ll want to discover a platform that is not just simple for you to operate, but also has all the features you need. Once you’ve made a decision on the features you’re looking for, take time perusing our chart for comparison to discover an online builder that meets every box.
Then then, take it out for an outing! It is important to figure on which one you consider to be the easiest to use, and also which is the most appropriate for the kind of store you’d like to construct. Try a few builders for a spin and determine which one suits you most.
Before you proceed for the next phase, be sure you’ve got:
- You’ve picked the top ecommerce website builder to meet your needs Each one has their own pros and pros and
- You’ve tested the e-commerce website builders to ensure whether it’s a good match. Keep in mind that many platforms offer an initial trial for free, so it’s worthwhile to test more than one.
Want to create an online site that does not have an web-based store?
This guide is focused on the creation of the online shop. The steps are specifically for the e-commerce industry. There are general steps to build a regular website here.
You are also able to read our reviews about Shopify along with Wix to learn more information:
Shopify review : Find out the reasons why it’s one of our top recommendations for eCommerce builder.
Wix review of eCommerce : What are the advantages and disadvantages of selling using Wix?
Step 2: Pick the best plan for you.
Once you’ve tried several builders and are satisfied with your selection it’s time to join the correct plan to begin construction.
Diverse different levels of plans offer various features. Like you’d imagine, more you spend, the better you’ll get. The plan that suits your needs best will depend upon the scale of your company and your goals for growth.
If you’re planning to build an online store, you’ll need an e-commerce plan that is paid for. Uploading and selling items requires more complex software than creating the typical website.
Plans begin at just $12 per month ( Square Online’s Professional Plan). This is less than the cost of a large pizza at Domino’s!
Here’s a brief look at the prices that are starting for the five top web store developers:
|Ecommerce Builder||Wix||Shopify||BigCommerce||Squarespace||Square Online|
|Plan||Basic Business||Basic Shopify||Standard||Business||Free|
Beware: BigCommerce Savings! Get 1 Month of Free
Get started with BigCommerce’s free 15-day trial today and receive a month of free after you choose the premium plan at conclusion period. Don’t miss this offer that’s only available for a short time!
These are the lowest plan that lets you sell online. Square Online lets you sell online at no cost this is a rare thing! You’ll need change to the $12/month Professional plan in order to get rid of ads from your online store.
If you’re planning to launch the first store online basic Shopify or Wix eCommerce will provide you with enough power.
When you are learning to build your own online shop, the rule of thumb is that the more revenue and products you’ve got the better plan you’ll need.
What are the number of products You Plan To Sell?
If you don’t plan to sell many products, a plan with lower prices might be a good choice. There’s no limitation on products on any of Shopify’s plans.
But, the more items you offer and the more you sell, the more making the switch to an upgraded plan is financially beneficial.
This is due to transaction costs. If you’re making a lot of revenue even a small reduction in fees could boost your profits.
What Price Do You Really Want to Spend?
To begin your website it is necessary to have an online store plan.
Shopify Basic costs less than $29 per month, whereas Wix eCommerce begins at just $23. If your products are selling out of your online shelves, these figures appear to be very small.
Don’t fret if you’re unsure certain which plan to enroll in. Contact the store’s advisor builder, and they’ll be able to assist.
What features do you Really Need?
Keep in mind that various stores have different requirements. Shopify may be more expensive, but it’s built to allow you to build massive online stores. However, Wix eCommerce is better for smaller online stores.
More you spend, more features you receive, as this table of Wix’s features:
|Plan||Business Basic||Business Unlimited||Business VIP|
|Monthly Paid Annually||$23||$27||$49|
|Principal Features||Accept online payment
20GB of storage
Connect your domain
Take down Wix ads
5 hours of video
Free domain for one year
$300 Ad vouchers
Site Booster App – $60 value
Visitor Analytics App – $60 value
|Everything from the Business Basic plan
35GB of storage
10 hours of video
Social Media logo files
|Everything is included in Business Unlimited plan
50GB of storage
Unlimited video hours
Priority support for customers
|The Best for||The creation of small online stores||The growth of your business||Building large online stores|
Did You Find a Plan You Loved?
We would recommend Wix to anyone who is serious in selling online. Prices start at just $23 a month. Check to see whether it’s a good fit for your needs!
Are You Able To Create An Online Store for Absolutely Nothing?
Yes! We’ve already discussed the Square Online program. Square Online that allows you to sell your products online without spending a single cent. This is the most effective online e-commerce builder for free however its but not only the only one.
Big Cartel’s free plan allows sellers to sell their products online without the need to pay monthly charges. Beware, however its cost-free plan can be extremely restricted.
In our tests of Big Cartel, it scored extremely poorly when compared to other ecommerce builders such as Shopify and BigCommerce with many customers finding it to be the most difficult online store builder to work with. In reality, Big Cartel trailed in the last spot in our study, scoring only 2.9 5 stars! five!
Even on a paid-for plan, we wouldn’t advocate Big Cartel unless you’re selling only one-off items, such as artworks. You’ll need some coding knowledge to utilize Big Cartel and it really does not have the features you need.
With the free plan, you’re able to sell five items, with one image shown for each. It’s okay if you’re looking for an extremely basic website to sell your products, but should you want to expand, you’ll need to upgrade to the premium plan.
The Benefits of Upgrading
Truth is that you only pay for what you get. The basic plans are ideal for beginning but you will gain access to more advanced features once you upgrade. This chart outlines three essential eCommerce options: multi-channel integration, abandoned cart recovery and SSL certificates.
Let us explain…
- Multi-Channel Integration
…is the capability to sell through social media platforms, such as Facebook as well as Instagram or marketplaces such as Amazon as well as eBay. With the popularity of social media constantly increasing, selling via various channels is more important than ever before.
Shopify and BigCommerce allow direct sales via Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Amazon, eBay and numerous other sites. Squarespace gives you a license for selling on Instagram as well.
- abandoned Cart Recovery
This is an amazing feature. We’ll get into more details in a minute however here’s the basic information when customers leave your site and have items in their cart, but without shopping cart recovery, it will notify them via email to keep them interested.
more than three in four online shoppers leave the site without making the purchase or purchase. BigCommerce promises to assist you in recovering 15% of the lost sales. Not bad!
- SSL Certificate
SSL (Secure SSL (Secure) certificates protect the information traveling through your store and let your customers browse at your website using “HTTPS”. The more secure clients feel when visiting your site the more likely they will invest money.
Once you’ve picked an ecommerce website builder and chosen the best premium plan for you The next steps are:
- Select an ecommerce template
- Customize your store’s template design
- Include products in your store
- Create payment methods
- Set up shipping settings
- Test, preview your store, and then create your online store
Before moving on onto the next stage, be sure that you have:
- Compare the features provided by your online store builder to identify the perfect fit to your store. If you’re not sure, start with a less expensive plan, and upgrade later on an earlier date.
Compare our top five ecommerce store builders’ plans:
Shopify Price – – for a full listing of Shopify’s plans including features and price
Wix Price Each plan is available through Wix along with what will get
BigCommerce Prices Find out more about BigCommerce’s plans
Squarespace Prices Take a look the plans of Squarespace and its gorgeous templates
Square Online Pricing providing details of what you will can expect to pay using Square Online
Step 3: Register A Domain Name for Your Online Store
Domain names are the part in a URL which identifies the store’s name.
A well-chosen domain name is crucial for launching a successful online store. It helps build trust with your customers and establishes your company’s image.
Let’s suppose you’re Nike (we are all able to imagine). The following URL is for Nike with the domain’s name boldly:
It’s the principal domain. It’s what people will see on the address bar as well as Google search results. Imagine your domain’s name as a signage that’s hung over an actual high-street shop.
You can purchase domain names through Shopify or Wix at a cost of between $10 and $20 annually. Alternately, you can utilize an registrar of domain names like Domain.com to purchase the domain and connect it to your store builder.
Our advice: Once you’ve registered your domain name for the duration of and set a reminder on your calendar to renew it prior to the expiration date.
- Select the correct country code
For those selling your products or services for US or international buyers, select an .com domain. Codes that are specific to a country are only appropriate if you’re selling to customers in the country you’re selling to.
- Do not use the brand names
Incorporating a brand or product name on your domain could cause legal problems.
- Be unique
Use words to distinguish yourself from the crowd But don’t be obscure. You’ll be at risk of losing visitors who are searching on the internet for your product.
- Add a keyword
By adding a popular search phrase for your site name will help to improve your search engine ranking. The higher your rank on Google and your website will receive more visitors. receive The more traffic you get is the better the sales.
If, for instance, you offer personalized t-shirts add ‘t-shirts’ to the URL of your store. This will attract customers who are looking for T-shirts.
Already Have A Domain Name?
If you already have an existing domain, do not fret. It is possible to transfer the domain to the online store builder and then terminate the contract with the original provider.
If you wish to remain with your current web hosting provider, you may join your domain with your builder’s site. For this, you must contact your current provider of domains.
To make the process easier For ease of use, we recommend choosing the domain name through your developer. This makes learning to create your own online shop from the ground up simpler!
Before you proceed for the next phase, be sure you’ve got:
- Pick your perfect Domain name (remember to select the correct country code, stay away from the other names of brands, make it distinctive in your choice, memorable and include keywords)
- Verified that your domain has been registered (and within your budget)
- You have purchased your domain name
- Create a reminder on your calendar to renew the contract before the expiry date, otherwise you could be at risk of someone else buying it up and reselling it to you at a inflated price!
Select and Buy Domain Names at Wix or Shopify
How to purchase a domain with Shopify
Step 4: Select Your Ecommerce Template
Templates (sometimes called themes) it is possible to make your website look attractive without having a design expertise or even writing code!
The selection of themes for the shopify platform is simple. All you need to do is pick the template you want from the builder’s marketplace.
When it comes to Wix it’s very similar. It starts by selecting templates, which are divided into various categories. Each category represents a specific business. For instance, you’ll find designs that are suitable for Blogging, Business Services, and Online Stores.
How do you choose the right template?
Answer these questions in order to figure out which template is suitable for you:
- What are the features you would like your store to include?
- What type of web page do you want to have?
- What do you need customers to do to be able to move around your retail store?
Let’s take a look at these more in depth…
What are the features you would like Your Store to have?
The features are a crucial aspect of creating your online shop. Consider what is essential to your store’s online presence Do you need galleries, maps or an about us page? Are you considering videos for your home page?
Certain templates have many more options than the others. Take note of the is required for your store and then create an outline.
When you’re looking for a theme on the marketplace for builders, sort by the features. By narrowing down your options, you will allow you to find the most suitable theme your requirements.
What Kind Of Homepage Do You Like?
The homepage of your website is what that your clients will see. It’s similar to your shop window.
Customers should be able discern from a glance what type of company you run.
Your homepage may be an image that is simple as well as a slideshow, or videos. Choose which one to use according to your goals for business.
For instance, stores that sell high-end products should let their stylish images speak for themselves. Stores that sell more complex products might prefer a less formal image, with more words.
What Do You Want Your Customers To Access the Store?
The majority of shoppers quit a site after 10-20 seconds. It’s vital that they are able to locate what they’re looking for with no difficulty.
A well-designed navigation bar is crucial. It allows your visitors to move around your site with ease and bring in more sales.
A poorly-designed navigation can be described as the road with a lot of potholes, but there are no signs for streets. People will be frustrated as they will not be able to locate what they’re looking for.
Lay out your pages from left to right, beginning by the page that is most crucial to you. Avoid including pages that don’t matter for your business. Include them in dropdown menus.
The navigation bar must be simple to understand. Internet users browse a webpage using the “F” shape, which is why websites with a distinct header and a sidebar on the left will be the most successful.
When you think about colors, you’ll want one that is not obnoxious and fits your business. Learn more about selecting the ideal shade here.
Before moving on onto the next stage, be sure that you have:
- You should ask yourself these three queries to assist select the best design for your site What features do would like your store to include and what kind of homepage do you prefer and how do would like customers to navigate your shop?
- Tested and discovered a handful of appropriate templates from the options your web builder has to display, before you decide on the one you like best. Some builders won’t allow you to change the design of your website once it is live Make sure you determine what the rules are for your site.
Designing and Choosing Themes for Shopify as well as Wix:
Step 5: Personalize Your Ecommerce Template
Once you’ve picked a template or theme go to your store’s admin tools to begin creating your own design.
It’s easy to customize your preferences and you can alter almost everything. This includes:
- The Font Size, Text and the size of it
- Color Scheme
- The positioning of products
- Embedding Social Media
The list is endless.
A majority of online store builders also let you embed applications. They are available in the app marketplace, and are able to add functions you require that the platform does not yet have.
Do you want to see an example of an effective E-commerce store theme?
This store was developed with Wix ADI (Artificial Design Intelligence) within a matter of minutes. You can see how simple it is to modify and customize the template. Simply replace text, images and videos, or alter the color scheme to match your brand’s style and branding:
Are You awestruck by the Design of Wix?
Wis is the perfect tool for building an effective brand because it allows you complete freedom of imagination in the design of your storefront.
Before moving on for the next phase, be sure that you have:
- Replace all templates default content (text images, text, etc.).) by your personal content.
- You can add additional functionality for your shop by installing applications from the builder’s app store (but keep in mind that you can change or remove them at any time so there’s no obligation to finish it all prior to you even launch your store)
In-depth Template Information:
Three simple rules to assist you in selecting your template for your website
Ecommerce Website Templates for Free Get inspiration from the best templates
How do you choose the color scheme you want to use for your site Select the appropriate color scheme
Step 6: Include Your Product
You’ve now created a beautiful online store with an existing template, you need to include your items.
With the online builder for stores, you can have an excellent control over the pages of your products. The picture above illustrates how you can blend minimalist style and design to create an unique design.
The primary requirements to include in a product are:
- Weight (for physical goods)
- Download File (for downloadable products, such as ebooks).
Different website builders for ecommerce have different limitations on:
- The amount of items you can upload
- The variety of options available for every product (the identical product, but in the same dimension or in a different color)
- The variety of variants available (a mix of two alternatives such as an oversized blue t-shirt with a medium size)
Be sure to verify that each builder’s limit is in line with the requirements of your company.
|Limit of Product on Cheapest
Shopify allows you to sell unlimited items on the cheapest pricing plans, however other builders of e-commerce websites could limit you to lower-tiered plans.
Three essential elements to uploading amazing products are:
- Product descriptions
- Product images
- Categories of products
Below, we’ll look at the three.
Know which products you’ll be selling?
Explore our guide to selling art, makeup plants, food items electronic gadgets, coffee and even automobile parts on the internet.
How do you write winning product descriptions?
The descriptions of your products must be convincing But here are three things to stay clear of:
- Complex jargon
- Long sentences
This is an illustration of an example of a excellent product description:
A clear description of the product can be the difference between sales or not.
The store presents the features that are technical in their tool box and describes its benefits to the buyer.
Another important thing to remember when creating the product description includes SEO (Search Engine Optimization). This is how you rank in Google when users look for similar products to yours. The higher your position the higher customers you receive.
The higher the traffic, the greater the sales. Include some keywords that are relevant to your product in your descriptions. For instance, if you’re selling vintage trainers include the words ‘vintage’ and “trainers” in your description.
Learn how to write product Descriptions with our guide.
Which Ways Do You Get the best product images?
As with in the title, your photos should precisely accurately reflect what your product is.
Here are some tips for making an internet-based store which is attractive and is able to sell.
- Utilize pictures with high quality Use high-quality images never choose images that blur or are too small.
- Make sure that each image is of the identical dimensions –Use an application such as Photoshop to adjust your images to match the dimensions.
- Make your own pictures -Use an excellent mobile phone (like one like an iPhone X) to take your own pictures If you are able to.
- Offer a 360-degree view to make sure that customers are able to view your items from every angle. For instance, let’s say you’re selling shoes on the internet for example. You would never purchase shoes without seeing the way they appeared from every angle – therefore you shouldn’t sell them without having a 360-degree view!
- Add images for product variations to make sure customers can view the product in all colors
- Include a zoom feature togive clients the option to see the product’s details (This is a feature that you’ll need to verify with your selected builder’s features)
- Add a “look inside’ feature which is important when your selling books on the internet since it allows prospective buyers to look inside the book’s pages and determine whether the book’s style and content appeal to the readers.
Then, and not the last, ask yourself: are your product images optimized?
It is easy to optimize images by using a no-cost online tool for compressing images. It basically reduces the size of the image without altering the quality in any way it can do wonders to speed up your website!
Images are a fantastic method of showcasing your merchandise. However, the more pictures your store contains the longer it could load, so optimizing your store is crucial.
The right balance between excellent images and speed of the site is essential.
The addition of products to your Store Builder
How to Add Products To Shopify
How Do You Include Your Products on Wix
Do you want to know more about images?
How to take Product Photos Learn how to create more professional photos that will increase sales in our comprehensive guide.
How to edit images like a pro Everything By Yourself Are you wondering what you can do to add those final details to your photos of your products? Find out all the details in our comprehensive guide!
What is the matter with Categories for Building Products? Categories?
Categories for products are the various areas where your items can be placed that make it simple for shoppers to find the items they’re looking for in your site. Examples of categories are women’s, men’s accessories, new products sales, and new in.
The easiest method to develop category concepts can be to think what you would you want when you arrived at the site?
We suggest only five categories. If you go beyond that, you run the risk of making your customers confused by too many choices.
Here are the most important aspects to take into consideration when creating your page for your category of products:
- Price range Displaying prices on your categories page improves clarity and stops customers from looking at products they cannot afford
- Highlighted Item scan be a fantastic method of leading your customers along your preferred shopping route
- Filtering Options Filtering Options for HTML0 – let them filter their choices by price, size or name. More options that you provide them with, the happier they are , and the more money they’ll spend.
- Offer Additional Product Information The customer has accessed an area of your site. It’s likely that they’re looking for more information on the products they’re browsing
Before you proceed for the next phase, be sure you’ve got:
- Use our guidelines to write amazing product descriptions, as well as creating useful product images
- Then, you have chosen the best method to categorize your items and then added the relevant categories for your products
- You uploaded your products to your website!
For more information about the product’s guides, read our article on the subject:
How to Create a Product Page that is rated by customers to be the best for your e-commerce Store
Find out more about the value of product reviews with our infographic that is easy to understand: How to Use Online Reviews to Market Your Business to different Generations
Step7: Configure Payment Methods
After that, you must create the payment option you want to use. This is an essential part of turning a user to a buyer.
Website builders for eCommerce simplify this for you. They streamline the process to ensure that you start your business with the most efficient (and most efficient) payment methods.
Web-based eCommerce website developers assist by connecting you directly with many different payment options including PayPal, Visa, Apple Pay and Master card.
|The Key Options for Payment||PayPal
Extra payment options for 10+
100+ additional payment options
Digital wallets for payments
What Payment Options can I add?
The three most common methods to accept payments on your online store are:
- Payment gateway and merchant account If you are partnered with a bank. they will accept your payments and deposit the money into your business’s bank account.
- Payment gateway software are all-in-one software that will connect your shopping carts online store to the processing network for cards.
- A simplified credit card processing You’ll utilize a payment service that is integrated with your store’s checkout system, for example, Shopify’s payment gateway. Customers won’t have to leave your site in order to make a purchase.
How Do I Select the Best Payment Method?
Determine the amount of sales you’re expecting to achieve and the type of customer will purchase your goods.
Find out which country your customers are located. If you are dealing with customers from various countries, be sure to meet the requirements of each country. Customers in Canada for instance are likely to have different preferences for payment than customers in Texas.
Don’t choose the payment method you want to use without figuring out your store’s requirements first.
How Do I Know About Security?
Security is a major concern for shoppers who shop online. However, you can take the worries out of their lives if you ensure your website is secure. It’s much easier than you might
Store builders online can sort this out for you using SSL certifications.
SSL is a shorthand in the form of Secure Socket Layer. It protects your customers’ information and makes their shopping experience completely safe.
The majority of e-commerce platforms have this feature in their plans however, if they don’t then they’ll offer it as an extra.
What is this site like? Check out the store’s homepage we created with Shopify. It is evident that there is a green padlock on the left-hand corner of the page:
Two important advantages to your business:
- Your customers will feel secure when they shop at your store.
- Google is going to reward you for your business with more favorable ranking.
Shopify for instance, has built-in SSL Security and gives you access to more than 100 payment processors. They comprise Visa, PayPal, Amazon and Apple Pay.
What is the cost of these Payment Options Going to Cost?
Payment methods that are different have different charges and fees.
Fees are typically bundled together and it’s important to unravel them. Make sure you know the exact details of what you’ll pay and what you’ll be spending it for.
The cost of credit card charges is inevitable. They are imposed by the card company (Amex for instance) and then transferred to the builders.
The cost to use payment processors can vary between 10% + 10p per transaction, up to 33% plus 30p per transaction.
If you are using Shopify’s own payment processor Shopify Payments All charges for transactions are waived at the other side.
If you accept the payment with a credit card of PS100 and you’re only charged the amount of 2.2 20p plus 2% on the payment directly from the payment processor.
Before moving on for the next phase, be sure you’ve got:
- You’ve decided which of the three payment options is most effectively for your business by looking at the various fees and the logistics
- Verify that your website has been secured by an SSL certificate. If not, you can purchase one on your own if it’s not already in place.
More payment information:
How to Set Up Payments on Shopify
Step 8: Sort your Shipping Setting
You’ve created items and payment options for customers to purchase them. The next step is ensuring that you’re able to deliver the products.
To comprehend how to create an eCommerce store it is important to know the way shipping methods function.
The various ecommerce website builders come with various shipping options. Look at the below table for more information about the shipping options that each website builder offers:
|Tools for managing shipping|
|Shipping labels that are printable|
|Pre-setup shipping companies|
To start shipping items you’ll need to set up an origin address as well as packages. Below, we’ll go over the boxes that you must mark when creating shipping options for your website.
What is the address of your shipping origin?
This is especially important in the event that you are shipping products to an address other than your business address. You must enter a distinct shipping source to ensure that the shipping costs and taxes are accurate.
After you’ve entered your address, you’ll be able create shipping labels and obtain estimates.
What Do You Want to ship to ?
The shipping rates differ between regions and countries (zones) that you deliver to. Online store builders allow you to charge different rates to your customers according to the zone they’re in.
If you’re an US company such as, say you could charge less shipping rates to customers living who live in states near where your center of distribution.
The store builder’s admin page will list the areas you can ship to, as well as all your shipping costs.
What are the Different Shipping Options?
After you’ve decided the location you would like to deliver your products, you’re able to choose the method by which you send these items .
It comes down to understanding the kinds of shipping available:
If you are able to afford it the cost of shipping is an excellent selling factor.
A quick tip is to Offer free shipping on orders over certain amount of your order. This can offset the cost for you by offering free shipping, as well as top the value of your average order.
The right choice for You, if you have the money to pay for it. Use your calculator to examine. If you’re selling low-end products It’s more difficult to get free shipping to be profitable It’s best for selling expensive items.
Give the same shipping cost regardless of the item. Flat rate shipping is effective in marketing. It is possible to offer $5 shipping everywhere in …’ and pick which state to use, or choose the whole US.
is right for stores that offer a wide range of similar products.
Calculate shipping prices based on various factors like weight, size, and the destination. Customers love this method because it’s honest and transparent.
It is appropriate for stores that offer products that have different weights. This is ideal for items of a large size that are expensive to ship free of charge, since you’ll be able to cover your costs without charging a lot.
Offer customers the option of picking up their orders as an alternative option. This can be a great option for providing an intimate, face-to-face business experience.
is suitable for stores that sell large items with a short shelf time or store with a an established local presence.
For instance, you can offer a discount on shipping for customers who spend an amount. It’s a great method to reward loyal customers.
The right choice for Stores that sell expensive products or lots of repeat customers.
With web-based store building tools, you are able to provide customers with various kinds of shipping.
If the customer wishes an item that is not available, they may pay to get their order expedited.
You’ll have to select an appropriate courier who will deliver your goods in a safe manner at the right time to customers. The most popular couriers are:
- Canada Post
Website builders for e-commerce like Shopify have alliances with popular as well as reliable couriers. This makes your life simpler, since it grants you access to discounts on shipping and current rates for shipping.
Before you proceed onto the next stage, be sure you’ve got:
- Add a shipping address to the origin of the shipment.
- A courier has been partnered with us (Fedex For example)
- Weights of the package that were entered
- Selected an option for shipping (free shipping, for instance)
Information on shipping for every builder:
How to Set Up Shipping on Shopify
How to Set Up Shipping on W#ix
Check out our complete shipping Step-by-Step guide for Products in order to find an in-depth explanation of how to setup shipping for an online retailer.
Step 9: Preview and Test… and then publish Your Online Store
You’ll have your items added and customized the template of your store as well as create your payment method and shipping, as well as made sure your store’s settings are in order.
You’re close to getting there…
However, there’s one crucial stage to complete before you’ve created your online store to test it: testing it.
Ecommerce web-based store builders make it easy to preview and test your online store prior to launching.
Testing your site is the best way to make sure that you’re providing your customers with the best service.
While you’re previewing and testing your store, here are the essential things to be aware of:
While conducting a test of your shop, pay close attention to the process of checkout. Be sure to:
- Orders are compatible with all payment methods.
- The shipping options and costs are accurate and clear
- The prices and items in your cart are correct.
- Discounts/promotions are valid
- Taxes will be displayed when a shopper is at their destination
The most effective method of testing the checkout process is to make an order, and then promptly make a refund. It is also a great opportunity to test the refund process and also the email notifications you receive.
The next step is to make sure your store is actually works.
Check that any clicked button, link or click is functional. The frustration of pounding their mouse without a reward is going to frustrate your customers.
Your navigation bar must be simple to navigate. It should be like floating around a calm lake, and not drifting through potholed roads that have plenty of dead end!
Invite your friends and family members to visit your site and provide feedback.
Many retailers make the error of opening an online store which is full of errors in content. It makes the store appear unprofessional.
Check out your store using an abrasive comb and look for spelling and grammar errors. It’s also an excellent chance to review all of your photos – be sure they’re optimized for website speed and correctly market the product.
In 2021, mobile commerce will be predicted to comprise five percent of online transactions. In short it’s crucial to ensure that your website works regardless of the device your customers are using.
This is among the most significant advantages of making use of an online shop builder. It is simple to see how your store appears like across different devices, and the way it operates.
Your website must be responsive to mobile, tablets as well as desktop. It is possible to test this using the preview mode of your builder, then switch onto the Mobile icon in order to begin exploring.
Customers will not just use different devices; they’ll be using different browsers, too. Online store builders are compatible with all major browsers, such as Chrome, Firefox and Internet Explorer Therefore, you’ll be good.
Take five minutes to review and ensure!
Last but not least, sort out Your Store’s Settings
Before you publish, the most important thing you should do is to double verify the settings of your store! Without the correct configurations, the shop will not be running as it should.
Go to your Store Settings area on your platform and fill in all of your choices for the categories below:
- Language Select the language that your customers will experience on the internet
- The currency: choose your preferred currency
- Time zone Setting the right time zone will help you keep track of your orders
- Address Show your contact details
- store Name in the form it will appear in your store’s email signatures as well as on the homepage and in online searches
- Contact Information include a telephone number as well as a customer-facing email address.
- Settings for orders You can choose you want to add tax to your cost of the product or not.
- Settings for the product You can choose what information you want to show the buyers, such as the weight of the product or its rating
If you’re unsure of what these or other obscure settings mean, contact your store’s support team.
Before you proceed for the next phase, be sure you’ve got:
- Checked out your checkout procedure (with the payment methods available) and ensured that the taxes and shipping costs are calculated correctly, the correct items are listed in your cart with the correct price and any additional discounts or promotions are able to be used.
- Be sure to thoroughly browse your site to look for any errors
- Have tested all of the above on various devices
- Verify the settings of your site.
Once you’re satisfied with your work, click “Publish”!
Set Up the Store’s settings
How to Configure Your Store’s Settings on Shopify
How to Set Up Your Store’s Settings on Wix
Utilizing a Website Builder to build an online store FAQs
Our research has found that Wix to be the top overall platform for ecommerce with a user-friendly interface with a wide range of selling tools. For more details on which you should choose, Squarespace has the sleekest designs, BigCommerce is ideal for expanding companies as well as Shopify is ideal for creating huge online stores. Square Online is the most economical choice.
It’s true, Wix comes with some amazing e-commerce tools. It’s free to create an online store using Wix however, you’ll require an upgrade to an e-commerce plan for the purpose of selling items. You’ll need to be on an Business Basic plan costing just $20 per month.
Square Online is the most affordable e-commerce platform available and the cost-free plan allows you to create an online store at no cost!
Although Square Online is a solid eCommerce platform however, there are more efficient online store builders that aren’t expensive. Shopify BigCommerce and BigCommerce offer trial period for free and pricing plans that start at just $29 and $29.95 per month, respectively.
There’s a truth to it, there are some that do, and others do not. Wix and BigCommerce do not charge transaction fees for any of their plans for e-commerce. Shopify is charged transaction fees however, unless you opt to utilize their own payments platform Shopify Payments. It’s all about selecting the right one for you!
Of course, using an e-commerce web-based website builder like Shopify and BigCommerce isn’t the only choice. It is possible to sell your products on an online marketplace, such as Etsy or if are a programmer, you can make use of a self-hosted platform such as WordPress as well as Magento. Take a look at our review to Shopify and Etsy to determine which one is the most suitable selling platform for you, or check out the review on the best Ecommerce software to learn more about self-hosted vs hosted platforms.
It’s dependent on the platform you pick. The creation of an online store on Shopify or Wix store takes only a couple of hours while BigCommerce is more challenging to learn curve, and therefore takes about a full day. The process of creating an online shop from scratch using platforms such as WooCommerce will take longer.
Option 2. Make use of WordPress Alongside Bluehost and WooCommerce
How to Create an Online Store in 9 Easy Steps
- Choose whether WordPress is the right choice for you.
- Find a reliable web host (we suggest Bluehost).
- Register your domain name with a unique.
- Install WordPress and then set up WooCommerce.
- Add new products.
- Select the design you want to use.
- Make your store unique.
- Select and install the most helpful plugins.
- Perform final checks, and then release.
There are other e-commerce plugins that work with WordPress however WooCommerce is the most well-known with more than 5 million installed so far!
It’s user-friendly however, it’s extremely robust and flexible, offering a wide range of options and services to help you create and expand your business. It’s completely free and is a good option for those who are new to building stores seeking to cut costs.
Bluehost is by far the top WordPress hosting service available – it was the top choice in our testing due to its special WordPress hosting packages and features. It even receives an official suggestion by WordPress itself! It’s inexpensive, reliable and provides excellent support for customers.
Step 1: Determine if WordPress Is the Right Choice for You
The process of creating an online store using an ecommerce builder is easy – all you have to do is decide which platform is right for you and then you’re off. WordPress is, in contrast is a little bit longer to start with.
The people who use WordPress love WordPress because it’s an incredibly flexible and adaptable platform. More than three-quarters percent of the websites on the internet are constructed with WordPress and it’s not difficult to understand the reason. You are in complete control of the design of your site, its features security, features, and more and it’s flexible and adaptable.
The only problem is that this carries an enormous amount of responsibility which makes WordPress more work to start with. While many beginners utilize WordPress however, you’ll get the most from it if you’re competent in your technical skills.
It’s important to spend time to learn how and make sure that everything is setup correctly. This could be extremely satisfying, or it may be a bit confusing.
Before you choose WordPress consider what you would like from your website, why you would like to use WordPress as well as the way do you think about managing everything that goes into your online store, from SEO to security, and more.
If that’s right up your way, then continue through this article to learn how to create an online store with WordPress!
Before moving on for the next phase, be sure that you have:
- Do some research on WordPress
- You’ve thought about the reasons why WordPress could be a good fit for your store’s requirements?
- Have you decided whether WordPress is the right choice for you
Step 2: Locate a Reliable Web Hosting (We recommend Bluehost)
The base of any great WordPress website, whether an online store, blog or an online store, is high reliable, high-quality web hosting. Web hosting is your website’s house online. Without it, no website would exist online.
If you choose a low high-quality hosting service your store’s website could fail, be hacker-friendly or load slower or encounter various issues which could impact your sales.
It is better to choose a top-quality website host . There are a myriad of providers to pick from, each with their own strengths and weaknesses.
For WordPress We recommend Bluehost. Bluehost offers WordPress specific plans that will ease your work and make your website successful. It is highly recommended to us by WordPress its own website as the best service to WordPress users!
And we didn’t simply go with WordPress’s word as gospel (although it’s difficult to dispute an endorsement from the WordPress team). We tried putting Bluehost against the wall to determine if it could meet our rigorous investigation. For the quick and simple summary of our findings – it certainly did!
In addition to Bluehost’s WordPress features, like automatic updates and a one-click WordPress installation, Bluehost impressed us with its value-for-money as well as its support and help as well as its large storage space. Read more about the advantages and disadvantages in our complete Bluehost Review.
Do You Want the Top Website for Your Business?
Bluehost is the top recommended hosting service for WordPress websites of all sizes and shapes. Have a look at it to determine if it’s the right choice for you.
Choose a Plan
When you’ve found the right option for you then you must select an appropriate hosting plan. There are various “levels” that you can choose from when it comes to hosting plans – the most affordable is shared hosting, where your website sharing a server with other websites as well as the most expensive type of hosting is dedicated, and is more sophisticated.
Take a look at the different hosting options by clicking the plus button below or scroll down to discover which type we recommend for online shops.
- Host sharing Basic and inexpensive ideal for blogs with small amounts of traffic. The limitations are due to the resources being shared among other sites hosted on the same server.
- VPSA major alternative to shared hosting. you’ll have an individual set of resource therefore there’s less danger of failure and much more safety than sharing hosting. Ideal for small-sized online stores.
- Cloud lets you control and personalize the resource you require, which is why it’s the ideal choice for sites that expect to see rises or dips in visitors (such as a shop that has regularly-scheduled sales).
- WordPress It is packed with WordPress specific features to help keep your site running smoothly while letting you be free of the technical and boring tasks.
- dedicated The most sophisticated and costly type of hosting, you’ll have a server for yourself. It offers the most complete flexibility, security, and the highest level of reliability. Ideal for large-scale sites and online shops.
You may be enticed by the low costs associated with shared hosting however, for online stores we recommend VPS hosting instead. It’s more secure and doesn’t have the same limitations. A majority of new websites won’t require dedicated hosting, however, it’s worth considering cloud hosting if you anticipate lots of fluctuating traffic to your website, for instance, if you are a sales-oriented business.
If you’re using WooCommerce to create an online shop, you’ll be able to locate the most appropriate WooCommerce hosting which we strongly recommend.
Bluehost offers WooCommerce hosting beginning at $15.95 monthly. WooCommerce is auto-installed by Bluehost, and each plan comes with unlimited bandwidth as well as a no-cost setup call to assist you to start.
The advantage of custom-designed hosting is that it will handle the technical aspect of things for you, so you can get started building earlier.
When you’ve found your ideal service and signed up for the best plan that meets your requirements, you’re ready to move on to another step!
Did You Find Something You Loved?
Bluehost offers specialized plans to WordPress users, from tiny blogs to online stores and everything in between. Check if this plan ticks your boxes right now!
Before you proceed for the next phase, be sure that you have:
- Choose a reliable web hosting service (we suggest Bluehost)
- Investigated what kinds of hosting services your host provides
- Select a hosting service that is suitable for your needs and budget
- You have signed up for your preferred plan
Step 3: Select and sign up for a unique domain Name
The next step to create the online shop is choosing the domain name. This is the name that makes up your store’s web address – for example, our domain name is websitebuilderexpert.com.
Your domain name needs to be unique, meaningful quick, and concise. It should be simple to remember, simple to pronounce, and easily connected to your site . If you can, you should have an appropriate domain name that is in line with the name of your business.
Here are some of the important tips to follow when choosing the domain you want to use:
- Do not use numbers or the use of hyphens when feasible These make it more difficult to remember as well as to be able to share information with others in a conversational manner.
- Create your HTML0 as distinctive as is possible If you discover that the domain you’re interested in is already in use Don’t just put with a second number at the end. Find a different domain that you can choose instead!
- Be relevant It’s easy to get overwhelmed when searching for the perfect domain. Be sure to keep it basic and useful, rather than being bizarre or crazy!
Once you’ve come up with the domain name that you wish to go with, you’ll have to register it in order to ensure it is yours. Each domain name is unique and if someone previously registered a domain prior to you, you won’t be able to apply the same name.
If you’ve got an idea for the kind of domain you’d like to own it’s a good idea to sign it up early and before you’re competing with others!
It’s simple to determine whether your domain is accessible and then sign up. The majority of hosting companies (including Bluehost) make registering domains a as part of the sign-up procedure when you choose the price plan.
You can purchase your domain through Bluehost or purchase one through a third-party website like GoDaddy.
Domains are priced differently and cost based on the registrars that you’re purchasing from, as well as the kind of domain you’re buying. Domains that are commonly used like .com or .store are fairly inexpensive and average around $12 per year . However, more extravagant ones like .global cost between $100 and $100 per year.
Some hosts will even provide domain names at no cost for the very first year. It’s well worth taking a look at!
Once you’ve registered the domain and paid for it, no one other person can access it – it’s yours to keep. It is essential to keep renewing your domain in order to keep it in your name. Therefore, or turn on auto-renewal or set an alarm to prevent losing it after a year or so.
Is Your Domain Still Available?
Once a domain has been registered, no one else will be able to make use of the domain. Make sure that the domain you want to use is accessible!
Before moving to another step be sure that you have:
- Think of name domains for the online store
- Have you checked to see if the domain is still accessible
- You registered your domain (usually at the time of signing-up)
- Set a reminder , or turn off auto-renewal in order to protect your domain
Step 4: Install WordPress and set up WooCommerce
The next step is to learn about WordPress. It is necessary to get installed WordPress before you begin designing your online store and it’s a breeze when you’ve picked a reliable WordPress hosting service like Bluehost.
In fact, you won’t need to do anything at all – Bluehost will automatically download the most current version of WordPress automatically when your account is signed up!
It’s the same for WooCommerce hosting packages and plans for WooCommerce hosting. WooCommerce is installed automatically with the Storefront template. This is an amazing feature as it takes the difficult technical work off of your hands, thus saving your time and probably some headaches as well.
If you’ve selected the WooCommerce program that will install it on your behalf, lay back and relax for a few minutes. If you’ve installed WordPress installed, then this is the right time to install the WooCommerce plugin. install it. WooCommerce plugin to ensure that you are able to begin creating your store.
Once you’ve obtained WordPress and WooCommerce before you, sign up and begin creating your dashboard. You’ll have to click “welcome” or “Welcome to WooCommerce” notification to begin setting your store. It’s fairly simple using WooCommerce’s wizard for setting up.
Follow the steps exactly in the order they appear. You’ll have to input information such as the location of your store and the currency you’re selling your goods in, along with whether your store will be shipping goods in physical form and selling sales tax. Additionally, you can choose a payment option, like PayPal as well as Stripe.
Once you’ve completed every step of the wizard for setup then you’re now ready for the fun phase… the addition of products into your store!
Before moving on onto the next stage, be sure you’ve got:
- Have you installed WordPress along with WooCommerce (your hosting provider might have done this automatically)
- Utilized the setup wizard of WooCommerce to start your store
Step 5: Add Items to Your Store
An online store requires items, and now is the perfect time to add them . Go to your Product tab on the dashboard of your WordPress dashboard, and then select to add a new item..
- Product Description and Title
It is essential to name your product, then create a thorough product description. Make sure you take your time with this. A convincing and clear description of the product is essential to convince your customers to purchase your product.
- Concentrate on benefits rather more than the capabilities. Instead of listing the technical details look at how these features will benefit the user.
- Make it easy. Avoid using jargon, or writing long, complicated sentences. Make it brief, simple and straightforward. Bullet points can be used to split up the text and make it simpler to read.
- Utilize persuasive writing techniques. This includes using words that are sensory, like smooth, crisp, soft or warm to aid customers in imagining the item. You can also employ power words like new amazing, hurry and right now. These all create an emotional reaction to readers and encourage them to act.
- You must be particular. Answer questions that the client might have but don’t forget the most important information like the materials, weight, size or even the ingredient. Keep it short and clear, and stay clear of broad statements.
- Be imaginative! Make sure you use your brand’s style of writing and speak for the people you want to reach. Tell a story that will aid the customer to imagine how this product will impact their lives, and also have some fun doing it because boring and boring description of your product will not entice buyers to buy your product!
Get expert advice for wooing clients on your product pages with this tutorial on how to Create product descriptions
- Create Products Categories
Then, you can create categories for your products using the right side. Product categories can help you arrange your online store and also make it easier for customers to locate the appropriate items. Just click “+Add New Category to your store in order to make new categories and then add products to them.
- Add Product Information
On the next page, you’ll see the product data box. In this box, you can enter all the necessary information about this merchandise (from price to delivery) as well as whether it’s a digital product or not, the amount of inventory you’ve got, and so on.
Need help pricing your products? Take a look at the Guide to price an item guide to get some professional tips.
- Include a Product Description that is Short
You’ve already composed a complete description of the product However, you’re now given the option of writing your own summary, which will be displayed to customers viewing multiple products on product pages for categories such as.
- Upload Product Photos
The last thing to do is you must upload photos of your products so that customers can see the items they’ll actually be purchasing!
It is essential to choose an image that represents the primary product before you include gallery images that the user can flick through to create more of a complete image of your product. It is recommended to choose an image that is clear and front-facing to be the main image. and then capture photos from various angles and perspectives for the other gallery images.
- Consider positioning of your product. Don’t just photograph your items from one angle , combine it with different shot angles. Model clothes and put them hangers, for instance.
- Take photos that are to the level of personalization. Don’t make customers focus and zoom to see the details of your product – take large photographs that are close up.
- Make sure you have plenty of lighting. Getting your lights as close to the original as is possible can help this.
- Make sure you have white backgrounds We mean white. Don’t use a grubby off white or smudged gray. it can distract your beautiful items!
- Edit images to ensure they’re as perfect as they can get. Don’t worry, you don’t need to be an expert Photoshop expert to edit photos of your products. You just have to alter the images.
Are you looking to learn how to create stunning images of your products that increase sales? Read our complete instruction to the best way to Create Photo of Product Photos to get more tips to help you take better photos.
After you’ve filled in all your information about the product and you’re satisfied with the photos and descriptions After that, click “Publish” to make the product available on your site!
Before moving on for the next phase, be sure you’ve got:
- You have added merchandise to your online store
- Written product titles and convincing descriptions
- Input the correct product information
- Professional product images
Step 6: Select the Perfect Design Theme
If you decide hosting your WooCommerce store using Bluehost and Bluehost, you’ll notice that you’ve got the themes for your storefront which is downloaded automatically. If you’re satisfied with this theme, go straight into the second step of the process: Customizing Your Store.
If you’re looking to switch things up, then this is the best moment to pick and install a brand new theme that will determine the layout and style for your store online.
You can search for WordPress themes directly from the WordPress theme library or purchase them from a theme retailer like Themify or ThemeForest..
Be cautious when picking WordPress themes Anybody can design themes, so some may be superior to others. Some themes even have shady code in the themes, so ensure that you purchase from reputable vendors Always read reviews before you make a decision.
There are many themes to pick from Here are some useful guidelines for picking the right one for your needs.
- Beware of free themes
There are plenty of good-quality free themes that are ideal for getting started But be sure to think about your needs before installing the free theme. Do they have good reviews? Does it include the features I require? Doing these kinds of questions will protect you from installing a theme that is not designed properly.
- Choose a Theme that is Ecommerce Theme
You can filter themes within WordPress to ensure that you only see themes that are e-commerce or else, you could be left with an unsuitable blog theme specifically designed to sell products!
- Select Built-In Features Carefully
When you filter themes on WordPress You’ll also find you have the option of choosing elements you’d like the theme to have. This is useful when you don’t want to install plugins in the future. However, these feature-rich commercial themes can be expensive and will often take longer to load Don’t overdo it.
You can also access your dashboard, click Appearance and then Themes to select an option from your WordPress library in this manner.
If you discover an appealing theme then install it so you can start customizing it!
Before moving on for the next phase, be sure that you have:
- I looked through themes from WordPress’ theme library. WordPress theme library
- Filters applied to reduce your search
- Have you checked the theme you like? appears to be reliable
- Installed your theme
Step 7: Personalize Your Store
To alter your theme’s settings, click Appearance within the menu on your dashboard, and then click “Customize”. This lets you alter the theme’s appearance including colors, layouts of pages to typography and more.
Be sure that when you build your store online that you have added the relevant pages you require. To build a store that is basic you’ll require:
- A home page
- Pages on categories, for example “Women’s” and “Outdoor Wear”
- Pages on the product’s page for every item
- An About page
- A contact page
- A page that explains the shipping and return policies for your business.
Create new pages wherever you’re required to be, and ensure your choices in design will be consistent in all aspects within your website store. Take into consideration:
- Your color scheme
- Page layout
- Menus for navigation
- Footers and headers
- Your logo
Make sure that your theme is consistent with the branding of your store Always remember to consider your intended customers – this will help you establish the right tone through your design selections!
Before moving on for the next phase, be sure you’ve got:
- Create your own theme and create your own
- We decided on the color scheme
- Chosen your fonts
- Include any additional pages you require
- Verify that your design preferences are consistent across all your stores.
Get help designing your online store
- Find out the best method to layout your product pages with this guide on What to Create an Effective product page and download ideas, templates and real-world examples to help you!
- Learn our top tips for how to choose the Good Color Scheme in our informative guide.
- Fonts are an essential element, yet they are often left out that web designers overlook. Find out how to select the perfect font in our in-depth guide.
Step 8: Select and install the most helpful plugins
You’re almost ready to launch your brand new online store. Perhaps you’re feeling that it’s… not being done? Testimonials perhaps or a contact form that allows people to sign-up to receive a newsletter? If neither of these features are included in the theme you’ve chosen, don’t worry!
It is easy to include additional functions similar to them to an online site with the help of plugins. Plugins function like apps, giving you additional features and components to include on your site and are ideal for customizing your store further or filling in any holes in the functionalities.
The plugin directory has thousands to choose from the WordPress plugin directory and WooCommerce’s extensions store So you’ll have plenty of options. Like with themes, you should ensure that any plugins you install are up-to current and reliable.
Here are some features you could consider adding to your store’s offerings:
- Additional security measures to secure your online store using a plugin like Sucuri and Word Fence.
- Testimonials – gather and publish user feedback using the help of a plugin like the Strong Testimonials.
- Forms for subscription Create the newsletter sign-up using an application like MailPoet or Mail Chimp.
- Store Locator helps customers locate your brick-and-mortar store by making use of a plugin, such as The WP Store Locator.
- SEO to increase your store’s visibility on search engine results using an application like Yoast SEO.
The majority of plugins have an absolutely free version, however some require payment be sure to double-check before you commit.
Before you proceed for the next phase, be sure you’ve got:
- Think about how additional functions could be added to your store?
- I searched for the WordPress plugin directory to find plugins
- I checked that every plugin to ensure it is up-to-date and is rated highly.
- New plugins installed
Step 9: Make Final Checks and Publish
Let’s look back for a moment . You’ve made a lot of progress!
From selecting a hosting provider to designing your storefront, as well as installing the plugins you will have an encapsulated online store that’s all set to go live. Before you click Publish but before you do that it’s best to do an initial check.
There’s no way to prevent any errors from getting into your store. at the very least, it’ll look awful, and in worst cases, it could turn off prospective customers. Here are some things to keep an eye on when you’re making your final checks:
- Broken, incorrect links, broken or missing. Check that all hyperlinks on your store are working and are placed exactly where they are supposed to. Copying the incorrect link is a common error to make sure you double-check!
- Typos. It happens to even the most experienced of us. So, be sure to check your content to spot any misspelled words or incomplete sentences.
- Broken pictures. Whether they’re refusing to load, or seeming unnatural, they’re too important to mess your storefront. Be sure that they’re loaded quickly and are in clear focus!
- Disjointed user journey. Find someone else to pretend to be an online customer to ensure that the customer journey is as easy and enjoyable as it can be. You can ask someone else whether they’ve found certain items difficult to find or if the checkout process is took too long. Listen to their comments!
After you’ve made sure you’ve put up a beautiful and smooth-running online store you’re ready to click Publish!
Relax and watch the sales begin to come in , but don’t let your foot off the accelerator. WordPress requires a continuous stream in maintenance from updating your site to managing SEO, so ensure that it is current and up-to-date constantly to ensure amazing results.
Also, ensure you’re using:
- Examined your store for problems, broken links, or slow-loading images
- You can ask someone else to visit your store and offer feedback
- Make sure you publish once you’re pleased you’re happy with the store!
Making an online store with WordPress How to Build an Online Store with WordPress
No! Although we recommend WooCommerce as our most effective e-commerce plugin however it’s not the sole option. Other good quality ecommerce software include:
Yes! WooCommerce is completely free and is open source. This can be fantastic news for those who want to build an online store, while also trying to cut costs. Once you’ve set it up, you can select from both paid and free extension for WooCommerce like features on your product pages or checkout improvements.
Then, it’s the most used e-commerce plugin available on WordPress with more than 5 million installs, and the most used e-commerce platform in the world!
Apart from that it’s designed specifically to work with WordPress and is free and comes with an extensive variety of features that will create a successful store. It’s extremely flexible, and fairly simple to begin with.
Should You Choose an online store builder or WordPress to create your Online Store?
It’s not easy to determine whether you should go with WordPress or a web-based builder to build your own online store. Here’s a brief summary to help you determine which option is right choice for your needs.
Website builders make creating your site simple and quick no needing technical expertise, and the set-up process is easy which means you can go directly to creating your online store. WordPress is more difficult to begin with because you must find a host download and install plugins and get familiar through WordPress before you start developing your website.
Website builders handle most of the technical aspects for you. hosting, security and updates are taken care of for you, meaning you can focus on the design and management of your online store.
WordPress is, in contrast it requires you to run updates, implement security measures and locate a reliable hosting service (or you risk damaging your site before you’ve begun making). A lot of beginners are using WordPress it’s just that you require a little more patience and technical knowledge to get the most benefit of it.
In general, we suggest the use of ecommerce website builders to all who
- Are you a novice in technology?
- Do you want to have an online store set to be up and running in a short time
- You’re in need of a hand during the process of building
- You want simple and easy customizable options
We suggest WordPress for those who:
- The company wants absolute control over all aspects that affect their store online
- Is there an element of technical confidence in the technical?
- Can they spare time for creating and maintaining their website
- Storefronts that require specialization are required.
If you’re considering using an ecommerce builder for an online shop, then we recommend beginning with Shopify’s trial offer. If you decide WordPress is the right choice for you, begin by looking into Bluehost in order to determine whether it’s the ideal web hosting service for you.