A Detailed Analysis of the Best POS Solutions
The top POS systems allow your company to accept quick payments from customers who visit your brick-and-mortar shop. There are numerous options on the market, and we’ve created a list of the top seven.
We’ve looked at the advantages and disadvantages of each one, and what attributes they have that set their software apart and what type of company best suits each one.
In the final section of the piece, we select winners, highly commended winner and a the runner-up. Do you have any other that we’ve missed? Please share it in the comments below.
What is an POS system?
Before we look into the most effective POS methods, lets first define what it really is.
POS is a term used to describe a points of sale systems. If you go to a brick and mortar shop and buy some items it will be processed by using the software for point of sale.
In essence an POS system is a mix of hardware and software that allows retailers to conduct transaction with customers.
POS software has witnessed an actual shift in gears over the years, with retailers using cloud-based POS systems instead of traditional cash registers.
It’s big business . The worth in cloud-based POS software expected to surpass $3 billion by 2023..
What should you consider when choosing the right POS system?
Before deciding on which POS software you’ll be using, you should consider looking at the following points.
- Integrations Integrations the POS system should be able to integrate with any apps from third parties that you already have installed. The most important ones are accounting and inventory management software.
- User-Friendliness – the entire staff will use this POS system, and you shouldn’t waste your time teaching them about an intricate system.
- Payment Processor Payment Processor you need to offer your customers the widest range of payment options possible, so make sure your POS can be adapted
- Inventory Management if you also sell online be sure that your POS will be able to update your inventory each time items are sold in stores
- Customer Relations Management you need to be able to build customer profiles. So you can offer rewards to customers who are a part of your VIP program and identify lost customers. A reliable POS system is equipped to accomplish this
- Management of employees Employee management tracking the employee’s performance is crucial to the success of your business. You should find POS software that allows access control for permissions, task schedulers time clocks, employee data analytics
- Cost there are three main expenses to think about, including POS hardware, subscriptions and processing fees for payment processors. The fees for offline purchases may differ from online purchases.
- Ecommerce Ecommerce your POS software should not be considered to be different from your online store, it’s part of the same. Find one that connects to your e-commerce platform
- Customer Support if there is a problem, this could cost you your money. Check to see if your POS provider provides great customer service and has rapid response times
What is a POS System?
In simple terms, a POS system is a blend of software and hardware which serve as the central checkout point which is where customers can complete their transactions in the store.
In the past, we’ve used traditional cash registers for this. But, this is evolving over time as companies continue to embrace cloud-based POS systems.
In the U.S. , for instance, cloud POS solutions have already outsold the standard POS programs in use. Cloud POS solutions represented greater than 60% new systems that were introduced in the year 2018.
If we look at the world market and cloud computing’s value POS software is predicted to grow to $1.34 billion at the end of 2018, to $3.73 billion in 2023. Of course it’s not only in the United States. Retailers across the globe are apparently excited about the potential of this innovative method.
Therefore that modern counters at the point of sale generally have computers and mobile devices that run cloud-based software, and are connected to local equipment like barscode scanners and card readers.
The effectiveness of your complete POS system is dependent on a variety of essential aspects. And they, are, in turn, going to be the most important aspects to take into consideration when selecting the most effective POS system.
What to Look For When Choosing a POS System?
It’s true that choosing the right s POS solution isn’t easy when you’re trying to search for the most suitable match. There are a myriad of options that come with their particular set of capabilities. This is why it’s a fact 56% of retailers require between 2 and 6 weeks of exploring to come to a conclusion.
In the end It is possible to select the most suitable software for your retail establishment within a short amount of time. The key is to use an organized process for selecting.
Begin by talking to the other retailers in your area, specifically those who’ve already jumped on to the POS Software bandwagon. Discover the kind of POS systems they’re using, the specific features they offer as well as the advantages and disadvantages of each. After that, you should consider the results along with your company’s requirements to determine the variety of POS features to prioritize.
While you’re there, here are a few important things you need to be paying attention to:
- Integrations The POS device should be able to integrate with not just the current software for business and other related third-party apps you may be thinking about using in the future.
- Usability: Your POS system software does not require any advanced technical expertise. Even beginners are able to install and operate the software without issues.
- Pay Processing The most effective POS software can support an array of methods of payment and processing.
- Inventory Management Your POS system must be able to handle the kind of products you sell and also allow real-time monitoring of all pertinent stock variables.
- Customer Relationship Management A reliable system for POS will help you manage your customer information in a way that is appropriate as well as increase sales by offering promotions. A few of the essential features to look for are the customer profile and gift cards emails, discounts, discount cards as well as other.
- Management of employees: In addition to multi-user access and multi-user access, your POS software should include features for managing your employees as well as monitoring their performance. Select the POS solution that has at minimum, has the ability to control permissions, task scheduling time clocks, employees’ analytics.
- cost: Establish the total cost of each potential POS application by taking the initial purchase cost with the anticipated running expenses. This means taking into account the cost of subscription along with the associated processing fees, as well as obviously, the expense of purchasing additional equipment.
- E-commerce: Although the principal focus on this site is selling in-store however, the top POS system software can also be used for support for parallel sales. This lets you expand your business beyond brick-and-mortar borders to make the most of the vast market of online shoppers.
- Customer support: Focus on POS software companies that provide a solid customer support framework that includes customer service agents that are responsive and are accessible via multiple channels.
This is just the top of the Iceberg. Be prepared for the variety of aspects to grow as you delve deeper into a particular retail segment. Overall the POS selection process must in the main be guided by company’s requirements.
However, we’ve been able to come up with an inventory of the 13 most effective POS systems that take into account the typical retail business.
So, with no any further delay, here’s the big news in no specific order:
Picking the Best POS System: Table of Contents
7 POS System Software for Small Business in 2021
This is our list of the most effective POS system options for 2021 (in not in any particular order).
Best POS Systems: Square POS
The most prominent player in the industry, Square POS supports 2 million businesses around the world. Since its inception, more than 340 million customers have utilized their debit and credit cards to purchase through Square.
- inventory management Controlling your inventory in one central location minimizes the chance of customers placing orders for items that aren’t in stocks. Square lets you make sales at your location, via the web, through your store, and also on social media sites like Instagram as well as Facebook.
- Teams Management You can track your employees’ hours, including if they’ve gone breaks beyond the time limit, and also when breaks they take. You may also permit or limit access to certain employees and award employees based on their performances. This will ensure that your back office is in order
- customer profiling Learn about your customers’ behaviour by monitoring any previous transactions. To build customer loyalty, you can give vouchers to purchase gift cards in stores or on the internet.
- Reporting Square’s dashboard is so simple. Discover which payment processing options are most popular, which items are selling well, as well as details on how often customers are returning
These reports can be viewed on Square’s app to ensure that you remain in touch with your company even while traveling.
Square offers a range of hardware options, ranging starting with a basic credit card reader priced at PS16 to Square Register at PS599. Square Register at PS599.
They’re offering a discount of 120 percent on Square Register with the code REGISTER120.
Sell your products online
If you own a brick and mortar shop and are looking to go online, you can create your store on Square.
It is possible to set it up for free, in which the only time you pay is when you’ve sold. The rate for processing credit cards is 1.9 percent for the European card, and 2.9 percent for a non-European credit card.
Square for Restaurants
Square has just launched the restaurant concept. It is possible to take orders at the counter, via the phone, or via the internet. You can also handle the orders of third-party vendors like Deliveroo, Just Eat, and Uber Eats
Check out our Square Post Office review for Restaurants Review.
Square is completely free to use. There’s no monthly or setup costs and you pay when you make payments.
You’ll pay 1.75 percent on chip and pin as well as contactless payment. If you make invoices or purchase orders, and then send them to a customer , you’ll be charged 2.5 per cent.
Square offers custom pricing when you’re an enterprise-level business that has greater than PS200k in annual sales.
- Simple The dashboard of Square is clean and simple to use. The reporting features are unparalleled and provides you with a fantastic overview of your company
- Pricing is not just that Square provide a no-cost plan, but there’s no obligation to sign the contract.
- Mobile Point of Sale The Square app is available for both Android and iOS. It’s amazing and is able to work offline
- Enterprise If you’re large-scale business, the pricing for additional orders aren’t the best and you’ll end up paying high processing costs
- Support Customer support may be a bit slow and there’s no support on weekends and holidays, which will be your busiest time of the week.
Who should it be designed for?
Square’s POS is designed specifically for small-sized companies. If your company is primarily offline, but you are selling online, or plan to do so, then Square is the perfect choice. Their inventory management is top-of-the-line and assists in tracking stock across all channels.
Best Point of Sale Systems: Shopify POS
The online retailer also has their own POS software that is trusted by over 1 million companies. Shopify claims that companies can expect an increase of 30% year-over-year in their revenue when they utilize POS to connect their online and offline sales.
Check out the full Shopify POS review.
- Shopify Payments Skip the lengthy process of activating third party payment processing and start processing payments with just one click
- marketing campaigns (HTML0) – Shopify POS allows you to collect email addresses at the point of purchase in order to stay in touch with your customers. It also allows you to integrate your social media accounts to bring clients to the store
- Google Ads (Google Ads) When you sign up with Shopify you get an Google Ads credit that will help you get started advertising your business
Shopify offers less hardware choices than Square and is more expensive. The card reader they offer is PS49 plus VAT. Their retail system bundle comes with an iPad point of sale for a affordable PS149.
Additional equipment such as Barcode scanners and printers for receipts and cash drawers can be bought. All products come with a 30-day return policy. day return policy that is free.
To take advantage the benefits of Shopify’s POS it is essential to have an e-commerce plan first. Prices are as follows:
- Shopify Lite – $9 /mo
- Basic Shopify – $29 /mo
- Shopify – $79 /mo
- Advanced Shopify – $299 /mo
The transaction fees are set at 2.2 percent on the first 2 plans. The second plan is 1.9 percentage on Shopify and 1.6 percentage on Advanced.
Read our complete Shopify analysis of Shopify.
- CRM Notes are left on your customers, view their spending history, and view the status of their previous orders. Marketing integration allows you can design effective campaigns to attract their attention
- Support 24/7 and 365 days of the year. What more could you ask for?
- payments – Shopify’s built in payment system is set up with only one click
- Flexibility It is necessary to be a member of an e-commerce program that includes Shopify for POS access.
Who would it be best for?
If you own either a cafe or restaurant shop, a different option is ideal for you. However, if you have an online presence using Shopify and you’re looking for a top-quality POS system with excellent marketing integrations, this is the best option.
Best POS Systems: Light speed POS
Light speed’s Point of Sale has earned more than $33 billion in revenue and has more than 1,000 people. Since their launch in 2012, they’ve focused on ePOS solutions for retailers, companies, ecommerce, restaurants, and golf.
- Ecommerce Ecommerce HTML0 Light speed allows you to create an online store along with an existing POS system. They also provide some great instructions on how to set up an online business.
- local inventory advertisements You can sync the inventory of your business with Google ads and make ads directly via Light speed
- Appointments If you provide repair services or personal shopping experiences , it is possible to book appointments directly from the POS software
Read the complete Light speed Retail POS review.
Light speed provides the iPad and a desktop hardware kit. Both come with a printer, scanner and cash drawer. The entire set can be purchased separately in addition. Prices are not available on the site however and you must contact sales.
A nice addition is to use branded gift cards. They can make you make an impression and are great to help branding recognition.
The pricing plans for Light speed listed below are for taking out an annual plan instead of a monthly.
- Basic – $69 /mo
- Standard – $99 /mo
- Advanced – $169 /mo
- Pro – $229 /mo
If you are looking to integrate eCommerce, you’ll have to sign up to Standard plan. Standard plan. The plans are all available with a trial period of no cost.
- Support in addition to offering one-on-one one-on-one training sessions and customer support all hours of the day
- Analytics – Lightspeed has released a new service known as “Analytics Core” which is perfect to cut through the noise, and creating very basic reports that are updated in real-time and can simplify your entire company
- Pricing Light speed is pricey. To be able to take advantage of the loyalty programs and analytics, you must be on at minimum the Advanced plan.
- Operating System The system can only run on Mac software
Who should it be most suitable for?
First of all, it’s ideal for those who work with an Mac. In addition, it’s made specifically for Enterprise customers. Light speed is designed and set up to manage multiple shops using its central purchasing system and master orders
Best POS Systems: Quick books POS
They are primarily popular for their easy and sophisticated accounting software. The Retail POS integrated accounting software is a great option when you’re already an existing Quick books client.
- The synchronization is done with Quick books The POS links seamlessly integrate through their accounting software, meaning you’ll save time the tax process
- Marketing via email Send digital proofs of the purchase for your clients. This lowers the chance of fraud as well as easing the return and exchange process.
- Payments Payments using HTML0 Quick books accepts all types of payments that is accepted, which includes Paypal, Samsung, Google along with Apple Pay. The payment plan they offer is free of contract and they also offer a no-cost credit card.
Quick books provides a great selection of hardware. It includes mPOP’s, pin pads Barcode scanners and cash drawers as well as receipt printers. They’re all offered in a variety of bundles and are available in white and black.
Prices start at $109 for a cash-drawer to $900 for hardware bundles.
Quick books hardware is installed locally, instead of being cloud-based. This means that you’ll have to regularly maintain and upgrade your equipment. This isn’t too difficult, however it is time-consuming. It also means that you’ll require an internet connection all the time to be able to make the payments.
The Quickbooks solution is a bit different in comparison to other POS solutions on this list because their pricing plans are provided as a one-time payment.
- Basic – $1,200 for small-scale business owners
- Pro $1,700 – larger business with multiple offices
- Multi-store – $1,900 – enterprise businesses
As of the writing time, Quickbooks is offering a 20% discount from the prices above.
- Rewards Program You can also include coupons on receipts once the customer has placed an order. The Quickbooks “Constant Contact” marketing tool lets you offer timely promotions with only one click
- gift cards Customized gift cards can be designed to reflect your business’s brand. There are also no costs when customers buy your gift cards.
- Pricing one-time payment is a fascinating tactic. If you’re a brand-new business , even the smallest cost of $1,200 might not be appealing.
- Flexibility This POS is Windows-only and can only work on a computer or tablet running Windows 10
Who would it be best for?
It’s an excellent option If you already use Quickbooks accounting. It’s likely to be more suitable for larger companies as the initial payments that are one-off could make people nervous about getting started.
Best POS Systems: Vend POS
It was launched as a cloud-based POS platform in the year 2010, Vend was seen as quite an innovative system. The company’s passion for innovation has not slowed since then, and that’s why they’re considered to be one of the most effective POS systems.
- Mac and PC is different from others POS systems. Vend works both Mac and PC as well as offline and online through apps for Android and iOS application
- Keys for quick access to make it easier for customers to complete checkout the products, you can design custom buttons for the most popular products. This is a great feature to your staff to offer quick assistance
- Customized receipts You have the option of adding your company’s logo as well as your logo to receipts. You can make multiple templates and mail or print receipts in a variety of languages
Vend does not sell hardware directly via their website. Vend’s link will take you to Storekit, where you can purchase appropriate printers, card readers, or cash drawers.
They also have an extensive list of compatible hardware that is compatible to work with their system.
Each of the of the Vend plans run from month to months and can cancel at any point. All plans come with fourteen days of trial period for no cost. All prices are inclusive for an annual subscription.
- Lite – $99 /mo
- Pro – $129 /mo
- Enterprise – Quote
Vend also provides a variety of options for add-ons, such as when you wish to create an online store you already have , it is priced at $29 per month, plus.
Check out the complete Vend review of their POS.
- Support unlike other plans on this list, phone support is provided across all plans. For the Enterprise plan you also get an individual support manager
- Usability The quick keys feature, the search for products, and sales notes are clear and user-friendly.
- Reporting When compared with other Vend’s report is basic. The display of customers for instance, isn’t available on the desktop however, it is available on iPad
- Credit Card Transactions Payment options are not as varied in the US. If you’re located in the States you have the option of 13 options for payment in contrast, the UK has just 6
Who’s the best?
Vend is extremely simple to use, and is ideal for small – to mid-sized businesses owners. The ability to report is small, which means it won’t be suitable for an enterprise-level company.
Best POS Systems: Bindo POS
Bindo is one of the less well-known POS solutions, and so you might be shocked to learn that more than 10,000 people are now using Bindo. If you look more deeply, you will discover that they launched in 2014, but where have they been and are they doing any excellent?
- Smart Register – is, in all fairness, one of the top Registers in this list. When you scan a product it will provide you with similar products currently in promotional offer, so you can sell to customers
- Advanced Purchase Orders – Bindo offers many advanced billing and payment options, including the option to “pay now, pay later” and also to set up an account on credit for customers.
- CRM – gaining insight into your customers’ information is easy thanks to ratings forms. You can complete a review in one click from 5 stars to determine what your customers think of you.
Every piece of Bindo’s equipment is shipped for free within the US with a 30 days money-back guarantee, as well as technical support to help install the system.
Bindo offers a wide range of devices, including various versions of readers for credit cards different iPad dimensions, as well as self-service kiosks.
There’s no pricing information for the hardware, nor any subscription plans that are obvious.
After a bit of digging, we are able to see the pricing is based on the number of SKU numbers you own However, there’s no guarantee. In essence, each plan is customized for each company.
Read the complete Bindo review of the POS.
- Hardware A great choice and the only company on this list that offers kiosks
- eCommerce – Bindo has their own e-commerce platform, however they are able to also integrate with third-party ecommerce platforms, like Shopify and Magento
- Pricing It’s hard to say it’s an absolute disadvantage, however the fact that it’s not visible on the site is a little suspicious. It seems to indicate a expensive activation cost of $150 per plan.
- Leases Hardware contracts can be a bit complex. Some customers complain that not only are leases for equipment excessively long, but they were unaware that they had signed up for the length of time.
Who’s the best?
It’s hard to determine. The one thing that is certain is that the registration process is extremely intuitive, and if you’re looking to reduce the amount of time that training takes your staff members and also accelerate purchasing, it’s the perfect solution. However, there are too many issues with Bindo that we aren’t suggesting the software.
Best POS Systems: Zettle POS
In February 2021, iZettle changed its name into Zettle after being acquired by Paypal after being bought out by the giant payment processor in 2018. Zettle could be considered to be to be the Square version of Europe and this is where the majority of its customers are settled.
- PayPal payment If you select PayPal when a customer places an order then the QR code will be displayed. The customer only needs scan the QR code in order to make payment.
- Text payment If you’re taking a purchase by phone, you can make the order and send a text message to your client. The customer simply needs to tap the link and pay.
- Gratuity Not just useful for restaurants, but also for retail. Customers can make gratuity payments and they will be reflected on your reports of sales. This will show you who has received what amount.
Zettle offers an array of equipment that is organized into popular categories like till systems card terminals, as well as POS hardware.
Zettle also provides a screen for social distancing to protect your customers. You can also create an individual store kit. Card terminals start at $59; however, once you have signed up you can purchase this for only $29.
Like Square Zettle’s pricing is completely free, and there’s no cancellation cost.
The advantage of PayPal purchasing Zettle is that the payment fees are one percent. The other charges are similar to Square.
- Transactions with a credit card – 1.75 percent
- Invoice transactions Invoice transactions 2.5 3 %
- Payment link transactions – 2.5%
- PayPal QR transactions – 1 percent
Zettle has a tailor-made plan for businesses that spend more than $10,000 in monthly revenue. It is all you need to do is get in touch with the sales team.
- Payments There are a myriad of choices for users. Not just that, but the fees that are low for PayPal are a dream, as is the flexibility of text message payments
- Free The HTML0 POS solution, Zettle Go is completely free and is compatible with numerous applications. Support for customers is available with the free plan, too and is open from 9am-5pm.
- Hardware The amount of hardware you can choose from is impressive and the price is quite affordable. No matter if you’re retail or operating a restaurant, you can choose from many products available that are all available without cost shipping, and an immediate replacement service.
- Offline The restaurant application is offline, however Zettle Go for retail isn’t accessible offline.
- Ecommerce There isn’t an Ecommerce integration, but Zettle recommends you to connect to Seltz which isn’t the top option when it comes to eCommerce platforms.
Who’s the best?
Like Square it’s a great choice for small – to medium-sized enterprises. The fact that set-up is free, there’s no cancellation and that the hardware is affordable is an advantage even if you’re not cash-rich.
The absence of an online commerce integration is a concern should you decide to start selling online in the near future.
Best POS Systems: FAQ
What Is A POS or ePOS System?
An EPOS is also known as an Electronic Point of Sale, is a store-specific management system that blends both software and hardware resources to process transactions in a dynamic manner.
EPOS systems go far over conventional registers’ capabilities. Although traditional registers record the sales transactions, EPOS system are built to not just record as well, but process and store the sales data in a way that is automatic. After that, the data is examined to produce crucial business insight.
However, the majority of EPOS systems are now dependent on cloud-based software as well as locally-accessible hardware.
How Do POS Systems Work?
A POS system isn’t an individual piece of equipment or device. It’s a mix of several software and hardware components that together process your transactions at the store as well as improve your overall management capabilities for your business.
In the past, systems for point of sale were very basic. In essence, prices of products were manually entered to make an order.
Then came the age of EPOS along with cloud-based POS systems and the world changed. Nowadays, POS systems work by using the power of computers equipment and programs.
The software itself is constructed by two points of access. The backend (also called the dashboard, or even back office) is the first one, and is responsible for managing and reporting.
The frontend, in turn is used as the main input interface. Data from transactions is fed into the system, and it is processed in accordance with the parameters that are that are set by the backend.
How Much Does an POS System Cost on Average?
A basic EPOS system, for instance it will cost around 1,000 to get it set up. This covers the installation of software and training, as well as hardware like cards readers, receipt printers and the Apple iPad device.
A mid-level POS On the other hand it comes with a set-up cost of approximately $1500. This is enough to cover additional hardware that is spread across several locations.
If you want to install EPOS systems that are advanced you could need to invest approximately $3000. This is a specialized, large scale services for supporting large retail companies.
Beyond the cloud service subscription, cost can be quite diverse. Certain POS software choices have basic features for free, whereas others may charge between $20-$70 for basic features. The mid-level features are more expensive and can cost several hundred dollar per month.
In the end the amount you will are paying will be based on a variety of factors, including the size of your business and package features, your requirements for retail, the type of items, your location as well as the capabilities of software, for example..
Best POS Systems: Conclusion
The best solution for you depends on a myriad of variables. If you’re only planning to start the brick and mortar business and do not want to explore the realm of online shopping, then Zettle will be the perfect option.
For businesses of a small or medium size, you need to look no further then Vend, Square as well as Vend. If you’re expecting huge sales at first or are confident that your business will grow, Lightspeed is a good choice.
If you have an existing Shopify store and would like to promote it at tradeshows, events or at a pop-up show you should consider a continuity Shopify Point of Sale is a perfect option since it can be added to your store at no additional cost.
Did you try any one of these? Do you have any POS devices that aren’t on our list? Comment below.
Recommend Tweet Share via Facebook Submit to reddit Add buffer Save to Pocket Email
Best POS Systems.